The Boneyard
  • August 09, 2022, 03:20:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I've been having problems with spammers. So I'm afraid that registrations will be by invitation only for a while. If you know me or someone here and would like an invite ..email me ;)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2022, 03:20:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Greydog

July 03, 2015, 03:17:26 PM
heh ...mail is fixed ..never turned it on  ;D

Greydog

July 02, 2015, 06:20:36 PM
He's having the same login problems you were having. Ima need to fix that ;)

Tig

July 02, 2015, 04:41:09 PM
He's active at my place, WTF?

Greydog

July 01, 2015, 04:30:17 PM
it's alright ...need to get Mako in here now.

Tig

June 30, 2015, 09:42:24 PM
Whut up, sorry it took so long.

Show 50 latest

News

I've been having problems with spammers. So I'm afraid that registrations will be by invitation only for a while. If you know me or someone here and would like an invite ..email me ;)

Author Topic: Wild West Online  (Read 2722 times)

Scrogdog

• Big Dog
  • WAY
  • Dog
  • woof!
    • View Profile
Wild West Online
« on: March 27, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »

There are three historical periods that I find particularly interesting; WWII, Age of Sail, and the Wild West. Unfortunately, the latter is the hardest of the three to find a good representative game of. That includes the board game side of things, and excepting a few notables like Red Dead. Which I never played because I don't own a console.

So when Mako told me about our old friend Tig checking out the game, I decided to as well. Why not?

The teaser material is outstanding in concept. They said that they were making a game that they wanted to play. From reading their stuff, I was excited and wanted to play too!

I go to the forums. Ugh.

Apparently they launched Alpha and had both PvE and PvP content, and several other things like outlaw vs lawman mechanics. A couple of weeks ago they implemented a patch that took away all quests and PvE content and replaced it with a faction system. Essentially, they turned it in to a PvP shooter. Then they say that the changes were the result of their perception that - ready for this - THE GAME NEEDED TO BECOME MORE ATTRACTIVE TO CASUAL PLAYERS.

That's the death knell for you, right there. This game is in freaking ALPHA and they are already down this road. They say they are bringing all that stuff back after almost a complete rebellion, but I'm afraid it's much too late for that! The game is down to 30 logins at prime time. Even SWGEMU is doing far better than that even considering bots!

Stick a fork in it; it's dead, Jim.

The most ironic part is that it now appears that even THEY do not know the kind of game that they want to play! Assclown alert!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:57:05 PM by Scrogdog »

Mako

• Lead Dog
  • Old Dog
  • AKA Dapu/Derkam
    • View Profile
    • Cutthroat Vets Forum
Re: Wild West Online
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 02:06:50 PM »

Well, crap!  :(

As I told you last night I really couldn't remember much news about the game as I don't remember it being mentioned recently. I guess that's why! I thought it had a alpha release that some could try out and it seemed pretty good, but hadn't heard about all the changes.

Pretty much the problem with most games these days. The ones done by professional studios usually don't truly understand what gamers are looking for and push out a rushed mess. The kickstarter games tend to focus too much on the gamers who back the game, but ironically cause them to mess up what they were originally looking to make. (Very ironic, as if a game isn't what I want I just won't back it, not back it and then push for it to be changed to what I want)  Not many games are willing to stick to their vision amidst the cries for pushing for release or making constant changes depending on what some small vocal minority is pushing today.

One reason I'm not bothered by how long it is taking to make SC, and why I'm glad that while they let the players have a little say they don't sway in the wind depending on what the current mood is.

Scrogdog

• Big Dog
  • WAY
  • Dog
  • woof!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 02:54:43 PM »

Yeah, same old story. It's truly amazing that some PROFESSIONALS still have yet to learn this lesson.

You are most certainly NOT making a game that you want to play. You are making a game that you want to make a living off of. If it just so happens that the two concepts align, so much the better. If they don't WE KNOW which direction you will go.

I have some advice for these guys; simply re-skin WoW as a Western and you will be exactly where you wish to be. Save you a lot if time and cash.

Greydog

• Grey Ol' Dog
  • Administrator
  • Old Dog
    • View Profile
    • the Boneyard
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »

Hmm ...just hopped over and had a look. One word in the opening of the game summary told me all I need to know about the game.

WILD WEST ONLINE is a emergent systems-driven, open world, Wild West-themed action MMO built from the ground up for PC and featuring world exploration, resource gathering, PvP combat, PvE missions and much, much more.

The word "emergent" tells me that no-matter what the developer thinks their vision is, it will be a gank-fest.

When you confront gankers in a forum they will tell you they are taking advantage of "emergent gameplay" and that everyone else just needs to play smarter ..lol

asshats!

Same reason I haven't looked at Valnir Rok for a while.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:19:13 PM by Greydog »
I plan on living forever ,,so far so good

Mako

• Lead Dog
  • Old Dog
  • AKA Dapu/Derkam
    • View Profile
    • Cutthroat Vets Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 05:51:56 PM »

Yup.

Can't stand no skill gankers. Anyone worth their weight wants to fight someone who at least can fight back to provide a challenge. Usually the ones to use exploits, too. There's plenty of single player games you can go around killing easy targets if that's what you want. No need to ruin other people's days just because you don't have the ability to kill someone who can fight back.

6 Guests, 0 Users

Recent Posts

Members
  • Total Members: 11
  • Latest: Sieg
Stats
  • Total Posts: 817
  • Total Topics: 72
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 38
  • (May 03, 2020, 10:40:21 PM)
Users Online