The Boneyard
  • October 02, 2022, 09:20:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I've been having problems with spammers. So I'm afraid that registrations will be by invitation only for a while. If you know me or someone here and would like an invite ..email me ;)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2022, 09:20:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Greydog

July 03, 2015, 03:17:26 PM
heh ...mail is fixed ..never turned it on  ;D

Greydog

July 02, 2015, 06:20:36 PM
He's having the same login problems you were having. Ima need to fix that ;)

Tig

July 02, 2015, 04:41:09 PM
He's active at my place, WTF?

Greydog

July 01, 2015, 04:30:17 PM
it's alright ...need to get Mako in here now.

Tig

June 30, 2015, 09:42:24 PM
Whut up, sorry it took so long.

Show 50 latest

News

I've been having problems with spammers. So I'm afraid that registrations will be by invitation only for a while. If you know me or someone here and would like an invite ..email me ;)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 8997 times)

Mako

• Lead Dog
  • Old Dog
  • AKA Dapu/Derkam
    • View Profile
    • Cutthroat Vets Forum
Star Wars: The Old Republic
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:34:21 PM »

Since the game is free to play and all the commercials for Rogue One have bitten me with the Star Wars bug again I decided to download this and check it out.

I'm kind of conflicted. It's not horrible, though it really isn't a game that I think I'd want to play long term. It is more like a multiplayer KotOR 3. Lots of stuff linked to that in game, so that's a positive if you're a fan of those games. It is a level-based game (which I'm not a huge fan of), but the leveling is very easy (I've gotten to lvl 18 after two nights playing it - actually should be higher but it locked me at 12 the first night and I lost a level somehow). You can play with one NPC companion at a time, and so far there's really no need to group. I've had one person group me for a short period of time, but been solo the rest. So long as it remains free to play I figure I'll keep it on my PC and play it when I need that Star Wars fix or I'm in a downtime with nothing much else to play.

I know Gre and Dat both play, so what servers are you guys on?

I started out on Ebon Hawk to try it. It's a RP PvE server. Name is Derkam and a Jedi Consular (Sage). Though willing to move to another server to be with you guys.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 03:44:04 PM by Mako »

Greydog

• Grey Ol' Dog
  • Administrator
  • Old Dog
    • View Profile
    • the Boneyard
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »

I've been playing this one since beta and have been subbed since launch. Being the altaholic that I am, I have nearly a full slate of alts across all servers (around 60-70)

Gunner and I have a guild republic side on Harbinger called "Aegis"

You are correct, you progress faster than needed (faster if you open side quests) and the only grouping required is in the flashpoints and operations, even then you can choose to go solo for lesser rewards. The only other reason to group is for social points which open up vendor items for you to buy.

I mostly play it on those days when I just want to kill stuff mindlessly and collect loot to sell and buy decorations for my strongholds.

They pretty much changed all the servers over to be the same. There is a toggle to turn PvP on and off which I like because then you only have to engage in it when you want to.

Galactic Starfighter is kinda fun too.

oh ..If you haven't seen Rogue One yet I highly recomend it!

*edit*
just logged on and counted ...I have 92 alts in this game :o ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:45:47 PM by Greydog »
I plan on living forever ,,so far so good

Mako

• Lead Dog
  • Old Dog
  • AKA Dapu/Derkam
    • View Profile
    • Cutthroat Vets Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »

haha, I should have known!  ;D

Oh, that's good about the PvP! Didn't know that! I like when they have some sort of a toggle, as sometimes I feel like PvP'ing and sometimes I just want to run around and get some stuff done without being bothered. Sweet!

Have to check with Dat on servers, but if it's all agreeable I'll make a character on Harbringer and join your guild. Don't know how much I'll play this game, but like I said it's like KotOR 3 with friends. So I'm sure I will every so often at least.

Yeah, believe me, I'd have watched Rogue One on opening day and probably watch it multiple times if I could. Christmastime is a bad time with all the kids out of school, and so usually wait until they go back to school before I go to see it. So maybe next week? Did same thing with Ep. 8 last year. (Hmmm... need to get that on dvd, too...) I really can't wait to see Rogue One, though!

Hmm... Speaking of Dat, need to check in with them again. Sent them the info but haven't heard back yet.

Greydog

• Grey Ol' Dog
  • Administrator
  • Old Dog
    • View Profile
    • the Boneyard
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 07:04:17 PM »

I took the day off opening day and took in a matinee (only way I'll do a theater these days) The only spoiler I'll give you is that the ending ties straight into ep4. They don't spend a lot of time aquainting you with the characters, by the end you'll understand why. That leaves room for lots of good action.

There's a couple real nice CG surprises for you as well.

..and I think you meant ep7 ..ep8 comes out this december ;) (2018 brings a Han Solo movie)

Let me know if you get a toon on Harbinger. I'll gladly send you an invite! Of course we can always fire up a guild on Ebon Hawk too. (I have 14 alts there ..lol)

Mako

• Lead Dog
  • Old Dog
  • AKA Dapu/Derkam
    • View Profile
    • Cutthroat Vets Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 07:29:46 PM »

Doh! Yeah, don't know if that was a slip and hit 8 instead of 7, or because I've been reading about a lot of 8 lately.  :o

Ok, will let you know! Like I said I only played really 1 1/2 days, so no problem starting over.

Oh, and because one of the companions is Mako (and a girl???), I can't use Mako. That's why I think I'm going to start using Derkam as my main toon name in games. Even when it's a name that can be used, it tends to be hard to get before others anyways. Oh well...

Greydog

• Grey Ol' Dog
  • Administrator
  • Old Dog
    • View Profile
    • the Boneyard
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 05:14:25 AM »

Even when it's a name that can be used, it tends to be hard to get before others anyways. Oh well...

Yeah, that's why I came up with Grecanis ..My first MMO ever (SWG) Greydog was taken.

Mako

• Lead Dog
  • Old Dog
  • AKA Dapu/Derkam
    • View Profile
    • Cutthroat Vets Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 10:20:40 AM »

Yeah, it stinks since I've gone by Mako since the beginning. '99, I'm the original! (Well, there may be ones who have gone by it longer, but I'm the original online pirate Mako) :P  But I guess I need to start transitioning. May start using Mako as a last name or nickname for my characters or something to at least hold onto it.

Created two toons last night on Harbringer. Derkam as a consular sage jedi, and Makred as a jedi knight. Just remembered that I may need to change my settings to unblock guild recruitment requests, though. It gets old when people spam guild membership requests...

Edit: Ok, I logged in real quick to make sure I can receive guild invites. Not sure if I have to be online when they're sent. Probably won't get back into game until later tonight.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 01:25:50 PM by Mako »

Greydog

• Grey Ol' Dog
  • Administrator
  • Old Dog
    • View Profile
    • the Boneyard
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 05:36:54 PM »

Ok, added them both to my friends list. You do need to be on for an invite, this way I'll be able to check.

I orderd "The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies" from Amazon and it showed today, just finished watching it. Got a few things to do now but will be on later.

Mako

• Lead Dog
  • Old Dog
  • AKA Dapu/Derkam
    • View Profile
    • Cutthroat Vets Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »

Cool. :)

I've got a few things to do and then will log in. Started playing Makred last night since he's slightly different storyline and such, but Derkam will probably be my main.

Mako

• Lead Dog
  • Old Dog
  • AKA Dapu/Derkam
    • View Profile
    • Cutthroat Vets Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »

Got Makred up to lvl 23 last night. Ran into what apparently has been a long-time problem since the game went free to play. Before you can play a character over lvl 20 it tells you to validate your email, even if you already have done so. The problem is if you enter in the same email that you already used it won't work, so you have to use a different one and then switch back. Crazy...

Other than that everything else is fine with free to play, just having to make sure I sell all my stuff before running out of room in my inventory. Using the extra security key via app on my cellphone so I get some store credits each month apparently, so even though it's a pain every time I log into my account I need to use a random number from that there's an extra benefit. Hopefully can eventually use that to unlock some stuff.

It said that after lvl 20 you get limited XP compared to subscribers, but I'm still getting some decent gains. So no biggie for now. Also get XP bonuses that can be used that I'm saving if it does slow down more later on. Think it helps that I'm a grinding pro, and so go through each mission killing everything I can and doing all the little side quests to get the extra bonuses. Also enjoying the story lines, though noticing that many are pretty much the same thing. Not sure how they heck you have made so many characters - bet you skip through everything as quickly as possible at this point!  ;D

Also figured out that each planet has a level cap, which explains why my level was getting reduced. An interesting way to do it, but I kind of like that. Explains why I keep getting limited. Told you I'm a grinding pro. hehe

Only have run into two problems so far. First was back on the starter planet I had some higher level character following me around instantly killing anything I attacked before I could, stealing kills. Pretty much just harassing me constantly. Never said a word to me, and actually I couldn't even say anything to them because I had to be lvl 10 to talk. Not sure if he was upset because of sending me a guild invite and I didn't accept (this was before I joined your guild and I had it set to block guild invites, so wouldn't know). I ran back and hung out by the trainers and he finally gave up and left.

The other is when there's a box or item that can be looted or used for quests I've noticed people will run in and steal while you're fighting the NPC's guarding it. Not very Jedi-like... Has made some of the quests take a lot longer than they should. Really wish they'd just put the items on the NPC's to prevent this. I've done a lot of swearing because of this. lol

So far I'm enjoying it, though.  :)

Greydog

• Grey Ol' Dog
  • Administrator
  • Old Dog
    • View Profile
    • the Boneyard
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 04:50:27 PM »

Grats on 23 :)

The security key opens a vendor at fleet ..that's about the only perk there. Speaking of fleet. Have you picked up your crafting skills yet? If you haven't I would suggest going there and and talking to all the crew skill trainers before you choose what you want. Every crafting skill requires two other skills to be self sufficient in it. Talking to the trainers adds them to your codex and allows you to look and see what each requires. Of course if you don't want to craft you could just grab 3 gathering skills to make money with. I recomend Scavanging, Archeology and Slicing ...slicing being the money maker.

Being in our guild you also get an extra 5.2% xp and have access to our guild Stronghold. There is also a quest giver (big Hologram) at fleet and coruscant that will start you on your own stronghold. The cheap ones cost 5k credits and are very much worth having as you can put cargo holds, mailboxes and a vendor there which you can access at any time to empty your bags.

Actually, I do all the quests on every toon. Although I don't read or listen to the quest givers any more. I just "spacebar" thru them ..and I have many toons I haven't played in a looong time. (and I haven't reached max level on any of them yet)

Ninja's have always been a problem here. The good thing is once you've tagged a mob it's yours and they can't steal it from you. Boxes and quest items yes, kills no (as long as your quick) If a quest area is busy I usually run constantly, jump to the group of mobs and hit the aoe to tag them all. Many times I'll open the boxes before killing the mobs as well. You're not losing much anyway ..the gear you get from heroics will carry you all the way from level to level.

I haven't had time to log in there for a couple days. I've been helping my brother Tom develop a couple new sectors in Hazeron and monkeying around with the designer. I should be done with that tomorrow ..maybe by then Makred will be in the 30's and I can join you for a quest or two.

Have you been collecting Datacrons? ...if you haven't this link will tell you about them.
http://www.swtor-spy.com/datacrons/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:55:06 PM by Greydog »

Mako

• Lead Dog
  • Old Dog
  • AKA Dapu/Derkam
    • View Profile
    • Cutthroat Vets Forum
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 06:14:12 PM »

Thanks! Only got in for a little bit last night and maybe can for a little tonight, so don't know how long it will take me to get to lvl 30.

Oh, that's a different security key. I'm talking about the account security key out of game. You get random six-digit numbers that constantly change that you have to use to log into your account or the game every time you log in. Didn't realize when I set it up that you have to do it every. single. time! Still, the extra store credit is nice.

Good to know about the crafting skills. Slicer sounds good to me! Picked up bioanalysis on Makred and been trying to figure it all out. Will have to see if I can switch him. Of course if you have to have 2 other skills for it to all work that explains why I can't do all that much yet besides gathering some goo.

Yes, I got a stronghold on Coruscant with the mailbox and vendor. Very nice! Makes it easy to go there for a little break.

Done the spacebar thing a few times already, myself. Enjoying new stories, but since so many are the same my spacebar is already getting a workout.

Didn't know anything about the Datacrons! Thanks! Will definitely check those out!

Greydog

• Grey Ol' Dog
  • Administrator
  • Old Dog
    • View Profile
    • the Boneyard
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 06:40:37 PM »

I believe it's the same key ..I got in early so I have a little keyring thingy with a button and a screen. It's an 8 didget number but it serves the same purpose.

When you enter fleet with either your pass or from the "exit to fleet" command in your stronghold you will spawn on the upper ring at the top of a set of stairs. To the left of the stairs is the vendor ..next time you're there have a look ;)

Mako

• Lead Dog
  • Old Dog
  • AKA Dapu/Derkam
    • View Profile
    • Cutthroat Vets Forum
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 06:48:22 PM »

Oh, ok! Cool!

I've been pretty much just questing. Haven't checked out too much else yet. Haven't touched spaceships yet or anything.

Greydog

• Grey Ol' Dog
  • Administrator
  • Old Dog
    • View Profile
    • the Boneyard
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 09:11:36 PM »

You don't get your ship till you finish coruscant ..and they're kind of dissapointing anyway. You'll see what I mean.
Pages: [1] 2

3 Guests, 0 Users

Recent Posts

Members
  • Total Members: 11
  • Latest: Sieg
Stats
  • Total Posts: 817
  • Total Topics: 72
  • Online Today: 6
  • Online Ever: 38