The Boneyard
  • August 09, 2022, 03:47:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I've been having problems with spammers. So I'm afraid that registrations will be by invitation only for a while. If you know me or someone here and would like an invite ..email me ;)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2022, 03:47:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Greydog

July 03, 2015, 03:17:26 PM
heh ...mail is fixed ..never turned it on  ;D

Greydog

July 02, 2015, 06:20:36 PM
He's having the same login problems you were having. Ima need to fix that ;)

Tig

July 02, 2015, 04:41:09 PM
He's active at my place, WTF?

Greydog

July 01, 2015, 04:30:17 PM
it's alright ...need to get Mako in here now.

Tig

June 30, 2015, 09:42:24 PM
Whut up, sorry it took so long.

Show 50 latest

News

I've been having problems with spammers. So I'm afraid that registrations will be by invitation only for a while. If you know me or someone here and would like an invite ..email me ;)

Author Topic: Everquest Next: Cancelled  (Read 1926 times)

Scrogdog

• Big Dog
  • WAY
  • Dog
  • woof!
    • View Profile
Everquest Next: Cancelled
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »

Well, we've all seen it coming for a while, but with this, Rock, Paper, Shotgun has proclaimed the genre DEAD.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/14/everquest-next-killed-the-mmorpg/

I think this part sums it up well;

Light a candle for the genre, it’s basically done. Oh, it’ll keep ticking along, of course. This month we’ve seen Black Desert Online, there’s others on the way, and there’ll always be some audience for both the mostly Korean-born clickers and the occasional new idea. Personally I’m hoping for City of Titans to scratch that superhero itch that Champions Online sure as heck can’t, and for Shroud of the Avatar to bring back some of that Ultima magic. (Take a shot.) But as a genre to actively watch for cool stuff? Stick a fork in it. Sony- sorry, Daybreak was pretty much the last great hope of breathing life into it in any form remotely close to how Everquest did it back in the day, never mind giving it back the cultural clout from World of Warcraft’s heyday.

Repop could be our last hurrah.

Mako

• Lead Dog
  • Old Dog
  • AKA Dapu/Derkam
    • View Profile
    • Cutthroat Vets Forum
Re: Everquest Next: Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:03:31 PM »

Well, it appears to be the end of the era of big developers making MMO's, at least. Also having humongous MMO's with millions of players, as it once was. I think we'll still see the new way of small indie devs like with The Repop, Star Citizen, etc. They'll be smaller, more niche MMO's.

I'd say more evolved rather than died. The problem is changing from the games being rushed too early, to being late because they aren't under as much pressure to finish by an unrealistic deadline.

2 Guests, 0 Users

Recent Posts

Members
  • Total Members: 11
  • Latest: Sieg
Stats
  • Total Posts: 817
  • Total Topics: 72
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 38
  • (May 03, 2020, 10:40:21 PM)
Users Online